ACT 1480 SECTION-BY-SECTION
The purpose of Act 1440 is to clarify and improve the language and procedures in the election code. The most significant changes include the following:
• The special election code is moved to its own chapter.
• Moves provisions related to paper ballots to a new section specifically for paper ballot issues
• Prohibits candidates from poll watching at the polling places
• For recounts, allows the election commission to either use the totals printed on the voter-verified paper trail or manually count the votes
• For voting machine recounts, clarifies that a voting machine’s internal audit data is to be used if the voter-verified paper trail is damaged or if the voting machine is exempt from the requirement for voter-verified paper
• Requires all candidates to file affidavits of eligibility
• Also note the Emergency Clause – this act is effective NOW.
The following sections merely change the reference from a repealed code section to the new code section for special elections 1, 2, 5, 6, 7-10, 12, 13, 45-49, 51-62, 64-81, 83-116 (total of 78 of 115 sections)